Pre-order Bananarama

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Barefoot Blogging: Banana Sour Cream Pancakes

I have taken the next step in my conversion to the Cult of the Contessa by joining Barefoot Bloggers, a group of fans of the Barefoot Contessa herself, Ina Garten. Twice a month, members make the same recipe and blog about the results. Yes, I am that gay.

Anyhoo, the first recipe of January is Banana Sour Cream Pancakes from Barefoot Contessa Family Style, chosen by Karen of Something Sweet By Karen. When it comes to this recipe, I think it is safe to say I put my foot in it. If you are used to making pancakes from a mix, stop it. This is seriously simple and tastes so much better. In fact, the only ingredient in the recipe I didn't already have on hand was the bananas and lemon (yes, lemon...trust me, it is good). My adopted dad Chuck was visiting today, so I whipped this bit of deliciousness up for him and Craiggers.



Excuse the cheapo camera phone photos...Santa did not bring me the digital camera I wanted. And yes, I really need more counter space, but feel free to envy my beautiful cobalt Fiesta baking bowl.

Sift your flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl, and add in the sour cream, eggs, milk, lemon zest and vanilla (I use vanilla I made myself from vodka and vanilla beans...World Market has vanilla beans at about 1/3 the price of a grocery store). Mix until just blended.

Heat your pan to medium low (closer to medium than low in my opinion, but that is my electric cooktop) and melt a tablespoon of butter. Ladle the batter in and then drop some diced bananas on top. I thought it was odd the bananas weren't in the batter, but tasting it shows why...they chunks of banana that get cooked this way have a big burst of flavor you wouldn't get if it was mashed into the batter. Cook until they start to bubble, flip and cook for a minute more, and serve with butter and syrup!



Preferably on Fiesta, of course. And I would recommend buying some decent maple syrup instead of the awful "lite" syrup mess I had in the cabinet!

These were quite good, although I think I needed to cook at a higher temperature...they were a bit doughy. The lemon zest gave a zing that was unexpected and really delicious. These would be great with some toasted pecans on top too, with a side of bacon. Happy breakfast!

6 comments:

Becky said...

I am envious of Chuck and Craig! Your pancakes look great. I'm anxious to try them, too, but have to get someone to go shopping. Mike will probably stop by Kroger on his way home tomorrow.

Congratulations on being a Barefoot Blogger. I have a wonderful time with this. Oh, and of course you know I think the Fiesta is most fab!

chocolatechic said...

Wonderful pancakes.

We just loved them.

Karen said...

welcome to the barefoot bloggers. glad you liked the pancakes, they look fabulous. i read through a lot of your blog on this first visit and i must say i'm a fan! you have so many different things on even the first page that interested me.... including my most favorite planes, trains and automobiles clip. i added your site to my bookmarks. :)

karen - something sweet by karen

Becky said...

Finally got to make these this morning. They were yummy. I meant to add some pecans, as you suggested, but forgot about them. Next time. I did do some blueberries with them though.

http://decolady-randommusings.blogspot.com/2009/01/barefoot-bloggers-banana-sour-cream.html

Ces Adorio said...

I love the dishes of course but I also envy not having anyone cooking pancakes for me!

Katie said...

i do believe i'll be making these this weekend!